Friday, June 8, 2012

First time out 2012

Wednesday June 06, 2012.

Ken Taggart and I, after 3 years of saying we need to, finally got out for a fish together. Ken took me out in his new boat. Really nice ride. Ken took me to show me around the Madd.

We were on the water by 5:30 pm. The wind was blowing pretty hard and the shies sure didn’t look very favourable. We could see huge rain curtains off in the distance and dark thunder clouds that seemed to be following the Ottawa River.

We had hit a few spots without seeing a fish but we kept a positive musky attitude and I was just so happy to be out and for once letting someone else fight the electric to keep us on our spot.

It’s a good thing ken knows this body of water so well because many of the spots we casted I wouldn’t have even tried. We were on a spot for a short period of time and I was working the HellHound…twitch, twitch,pause…..twitch, twitch,pause….I had brought the lure all of the way back to the boat and as I always seem to do I stood there looking at the lure and wondering why it won’t catch me any fish when I saw her out of the corner of my left eye. I started to say “There’s one” and probably got out “ther” when she slammed the lure. I tell you a hook set with less than a foot of line out is sure like being  samurai.

It was game on. She took 4 or 5 feet of line off of the reel and I was so happy I had my gear setup properly. Ken then proceeded to make my musky experience just that much more heart attack material. I was standing on the folded over reach seat which was now holding on firmly to the handle of his net. I didn’t know which fight I should watch, the fish or Ken vs. the rear bench seat. I am pretty sure I heard “Chinese fire drill”

Ken finally got the net free and and we netted her. For my first fish of the year and not having got a single musky in 2011 she was as beautiful as a 50 inch fish.

1

 

We got so lucky that the bad weather was all around us but left us alone. Great day.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment